[Updated] Postal Service Rate Changes Went Into Effect January 2017
November 2, 2016
|Printer Friendly »|
The U.S. Postal Service® announced new rates for both mailing and shipping services effective January 22, 2017. The new rates affected First-Class Mail, Standard Mail, Periodical products, Package Service products and Special Services.
We've provided a summary of the changes below. For more detail read the official approval from the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC).
Which Mailing Services Rates Have Changed?
MAILING RATE INCREASES:
- The price for First-Class® Mail letters (1 oz.) increased from 47 cents to 49 cents.
- The price for First-Class Mail Flats increased from 94 cents to 98 cents.
- First-Class Parcels (Retail) generally increased by .624 percent but parcels between 0 to 4 oz remained at $2.67.
- Overall, Media Mail and Library Mail both increased by 1.135 percent.
Signature Confirmation™ increased overall by 3.5 percent.
Collect on Delivery increased overall by 2.5 percent.
Return Receipt increased overall by 2.9 percent.
Certificate of Mailing increased overall by 6.1 percent.
MAILING RATE DECREASES:
- The First-Class Mail Parcels (Retail) additional ounce price changed from 19 cents to 18 cents.
First-Class mailers can mail up to 3.5 oz. letters for the same price as a 1 oz. letter for presorted mail. What this means is that you will be given the opportunity to mail more at the same price as 1 oz.
Which Shipping Services Rates Will Change?
Priority Mail Express®:
- Priority Mail Express Prices increased 3.3 percent and will continue to be offered on zoned Retail, Commercial Base® and Commercial Plus® pricing tiers.
- Retail prices increased an average of 3.7 percent.
- Flat Rate envelope price increased to $23.75 and the Legal Flat Rate envelope increased to $23.95. The Padded Flat Rate envelope increased to $24.45.
- Commercial Base prices increased by an average of 2.4 percent.
- Priority Mail prices increased by an average of 3.9 percent and will also continue to be offered on zoned Retail, Commercial Base, and Commercial Plus pricing tiers.
- Priority Mail Retail prices cost .4 percent less than its Priority Mail Express counterpart, as it only increased by 3.3 percent.
- The Flat-Rate Envelope price increased to $6.65 and the Legal Flat-Rate envelope increased to $6.95. The Padded Flat-Rate Envelope increased to $7.20. The price for the small Flat Rate box was raised to $7.15, the medium Flat Rate box was increased to $13.60 and the large Flat Rate Box increased to $18.85.
- Commercial Base Prices increased by an average of 4.1 percent, which is 1.7 percent lower than its Priority Mail Express International equivalent.
First-Class Package Service
Generally, First-Class Package Service increased by 4.1 percent.
- Parcel Select non-lightweight increased by an average of 3.5 percent, while Parcel Select Lightweight increased by an average of 8 percent.
- The prices for Parcel Select Ground ™ increased by an average of 2.7 percent.
USPS Retail Ground
Overall, prices for USPS Retail Ground increased by an average of 3.8 percent.
Parcel Return Service
On average, the price for Parcel Return Service has increased by an average of 5.5 percent.
Adult Signature Service:
Adult Signature Required and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery Service prices has increased by 3.5 and 3.4 percent respectively. The price for Adult Signature Required has increased to $5.90 and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery has increased to $6.15.
USPS Package Intercept
The fee for USPS Package Intercept has increased by 3.2 percent to $12.95.
The retail rate of certified Mail is $3.35.
1 lb. single-piece Media Mail costs $2.63
1 lb. single-piece Library Mail costs $2.50
The retail rate for Return Receipt Electronic is $1.45 and $2.75 for Return Receipt - Retail.